Graduate School of Theology
John G. Innis Graduate Program in Theology
The United Methodist University is a tertiary educational institution owned and operated by the United Methodist Church in the Liberia. This Program is an extension of the Gbarnga School of Theology (GST) theological studies on the Master’s Level, offering the degree of (M.Div.) for Christians who desires to enrich their personal lives as well as others who feel the calling to pastoral ministry!
It is also the newest of all programs at the university established and became operational in September, 2015.The program has the support of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) who stands ready to partner with African Ministries in grooming their ministers and church workers in their own cultural setting in order to better prepare them for ministry among their people.
The objective of the program are :
- To develop the skills of leaders in biblical preaching and church leadership for effective service on the African continent in particular and the world in general;
- To develop the missional skills and capacity of Christian leaders serving both the church and society;
- To engage the church leadership in Liberia and West Africa in particular and Africa in general in facilitating the process leading to sound leadership in the church and trustworthy national governance;
- To establish a permanent center in Liberia for training in biblical preaching and leadership development; national and regional missions imitative; planning implementation, monitoring and evaluation of missions and leadership initiates for West African central conferences in particular and other central conferences in Africa in general;
- To mobilize and train potential and emerging clergy and lay servants to undertake church growth survey of communities villages, towns and cities with a view of creating public awareness about the state of the church , the extent of the harvest field and develop a national church database of reached and unreached people groups categories of various ministry-focused groups, etc.
About the Program
The program offers a three study program for the Degree of Master of Divinity (M.Div.) in theology. Students graduating from this program must complete ninety-six credit hours and earn a GPA of not less than 3.000. The degree covers seven areas of study which are: Theology-(Systematic/Biblical); Biblical Studies; Ministries; Counseling; General studies; Christian Education and Historical Theology.
Students who enroll with nine to twelve credit hours are considered as full time and those with less than nine credit hours are part-timers.